The mkiv Supra Owners Club

America?

creative

I used to go out with a young lady who hailed from Columbus and spent quite a bit of time there.

Not quite the sprawling city that America is famed for and far more laid back than most of the other tourist traps - in fact, they don't "do" tourism per se at all.

Personally I liked the place but there again, unlike some of our more xenophobic members, in general I like Americans too. :)

If you want me to put you in touch with the lady (we are still mates) then let me know. She now lives in Seattle but could still answer a lot of your questions. ;)

That could be ace CJ. I will see what happens with the interviews first and see what is on offer... its all very early stages yet... but you may get a pm in the future!

That in itself is true and works out well if you are a tourist or on short term secondment but if the wages on offer are in line with American prices then (as Red M as already said) that benefit goes out of the window.

Now, if you can get the UK pay scale and their prices then you are £'s in ;)

;) I'll be helping her negotiate.. we have nothing to lose due to Oz plans

Creative, what work would you be trying to do out there? You should be able to get a work Visa as i assume your married? So your missus will have a special work visa, that would allow you to get a tag on work visa initially, i guess.

The point about wages is very valid the average in Columbus OH is only $27k, which is above there national average, however housing is cheap there $125k for a home, low unemployment, taxes are high though.

Any money you take over with you will obviously go far, unless you want a Sup as they aint cheap there:p

We aren't married yet (engaged) and I can go on her visa if it happens but cant work off it until I get my own. My actual trade is running bars/clubs etc and TBH I've had enough of it. Going to do graphic design courses etc and get into that so the wage would have to be ok to support us both initially... hence if there is a relocation package going we would be laughing... all the way to the bank! Still have our house in the UK in that instance, so financially I wouldn't be worried. If they want her that much they can pay!

The worst thing about taking a job in the States is the fact that they get almost no holiday each year - normally start out with little or no holiday in the first year then moving up to about 10 days a year. Once you've been with a company for a long time (10 years plus!) you might get 15 days a year.

Just another thing to factor in when you're negotiating the terms. And try to get healthcare - otherwise it can take a very large chunk of your salary for insurance.

Other than that I love the states - especially the sleepy ones! I spent some of my childhood in Minnesota and absolutely love going back for visits.

Good luck!

:)

I did 9 months in Dallas (well Arlingotn but it's 10 miles down the road). i was lucky to be on a uk wage for all of the 9 months, so i didn't get hit by the issues already mentioned.

I loved my time there and would love to do it again - the only negatives i had was that it was just such a huge state, it was almost impossible to hop in the car and be a tourist at the weekends.

but i found the people were great.

ohh but i did miss sunday roast at my mums :)

You are in a strong position in the fact that they headhunted your fiance, meaning they want her. Negotiate a good package that you are happy with and give it a try, once you are out there it may open up the oppurtunity for employment in another part of the country should Ohio prove to be a bit sleepy. Lifes too short for umming an ahhing get negotiating :D

It helps if you are married to a US citizen. My brother got his earlier this year, it took about 6 months to process, but like here they are making it more difficult to get one. They have some other method which is more like a lottery of being picked if you dont meet all their usual requirements.

It helps if you are married to a US citizen. My brother got his earlier this year, it took about 6 months to process, but like here they are making it more difficult to get one. They have some other method which is more like a lottery of being picked if you dont meet all their usual requirements.

UK residents are unfortunately omitted from the US green card lottery:(

what job does your fiance do?

She is currently a fabric tech at Firetrap in london but her field is fabric design and these places dont come up very often. In fact this is only the second one since she has left uni 4 years ago that we have seen!

Well thats the australia plan you see. Im from Oz so I can come and go as I please and we were going on a spouse visa for her... so thats happening if nothing comes of this.

Its early days yet so I think we will just see what they say and happens... no harm in looking though!