The mkiv Supra Owners Club

America?

creative

Just a quick question really.

What is america like for living in? stuff like cost etc etc?

The missus has been headhunted and it would involve re locating to ohio... paid for by them so its sounding like an attractive package so far.

I have never been or hand the inclination to go to america before just just want to get the lowdown really. :thumbs:

Yeah it's all different. Ohio always sounds nice, not been though. Generally it's cheaper than here but not NY!

If I was offered something like this I would go. Lets face it, if you don't like it you can always come back!

What about you though? You'll need to work? Not sure what you'd do about a Visa.

Yeah it's all different. Ohio always sounds nice, not been though. Generally it's cheaper than here but not NY!

If I was offered something like this I would go. Lets face it, if you don't like it you can always come back!

What about you though? You'll need to work? Not sure what you'd do about a Visa.

She would be based in columbus... wherever that is :lol:

We are actually in the process of selling up and moving to Australia so visa etc can all be changed... I'm having a career change anyway but we are in a position to think why not just do it! We have no debt to speak of, just the mortgage so the house can be rented out to pay that.

I've told her no harm in looking and if the interview in London goes ok its an expenses paid trip out there for a weekend.

I can finally be a kept man! :D

Ohio. Bleugh! Been there and wouldn't go again even if the plane was crash-landing there.

Also, as for living there, don't get any fancy ideas that the standard of living is going to be great. Once you get into the economy your SOL is only as good as your salaries. Sounds obvious but many people forget that the advantages we have as visitors are negated as soon as you become resident there.

I personally would love to live stateside, i've been through 30 of the 50 states, however i have to admit that Ohio would'nt be on my list of places to move to, you should go looksee to make your own minds up though, alot depends on how much you earn if its a fair whack even Ohio has nice parts, like Toronto:p, sorry only kidding.

Ohio. Bleugh! Been there and wouldn't go again even if the plane was crash-landing there.

Also, as for living there, don't get any fancy ideas that the standard of living is going to be great. Once you get into the economy your SOL is only as good as your salaries. Sounds obvious but many people forget that the advantages we have as visitors are negated as soon as you become resident there.

I personally would love to live stateside, I've been through 30 of the 50 states, however i have to admit that Ohio wouldn't be on my list of places to move to, you should go look see to make your own minds up though, alot depends on how much you earn if its a fair whack even Ohio has nice parts, like Toronto:p, sorry only kidding.

This is just it... I have no idea what America is like.:search: Obviously if the job package is good its going to be seriously considered... altho I would still prefer to move to Australia straight away but what's a few years stop over across the pond?

Career wise it will be good for her and I'm always open to new things...

I used to go out with a young lady who hailed from Columbus and spent quite a bit of time there.

Not quite the sprawling city that America is famed for and far more laid back than most of the other tourist traps - in fact, they don't "do" tourism per se at all.

Personally I liked the place but there again, unlike some of our more xenophobic members, in general I like Americans too. :)

If you want me to put you in touch with the lady (we are still mates) then let me know. She now lives in Seattle but could still answer a lot of your questions. ;)

I'd go!

Can't be any worse than this shithole can it??

H.

best answer so far!:D

my sister went to texas recently for a month with her job and the way she explained it to me is .................

everythingis half the price it is over here(£ equivalent) and you then get 2 dollars for every pound - so effectively a quarter of the price if you get what i mean

best answer so far!:D

my sister went to texas recently for a month with her job and the way she explained it to me is .................

everythingis half the price it is over here(£ equivalent) and you then get 2 dollars for every pound - so effectively a quarter of the price if you get what i mean

That in itself is true and works out well if you are a tourist or on short term secondment but if the wages on offer are in line with American prices then (as Red M as already said) that benefit goes out of the window.

Now, if you can get the UK pay scale and their prices then you are £'s in ;)

Creative, what work would you be trying to do out there? You should be able to get a work Visa as i assume your married? So your missus will have a special work visa, that would allow you to get a tag on work visa initially, i guess.

The point about wages is very valid the average in Columbus OH is only $27k, which is above there national average, however housing is cheap there $125k for a home, low unemployment, taxes are high though.

Any money you take over with you will obviously go far, unless you want a Sup as they aint cheap there:p

Brothers moved to NY recently and hes loving it, all depends on job / friends / contacts etc. I would imagine OHIO being like moving to somewhere like Norfolk, a bit sleepy... but you do get Cedar Point to visit :)

I think I could move to NY to live, somewhere busy, but then again my uncle lives in the metro area of Detroit in a really nice area and he's not looked back.