The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Miami GT SMIC Install Pics

hadyn

Today was the day when I finally replaced my flakey and quite frankly dead stock Side Mounted Intercooler (SMIC) with a brand spanking new shiney one from Miami GT. Install was simple enough, just a little fiddly and time consuming but we got there in the end. Biggest problem was locating imperial threaed bolts and then cutting them down to size to suit. Right on with the pics:

The Cooler in all its glory pre-installation

My old knackered SMIC in situ

Rear face of knackered old SMIC once fender guard and wheel had been removed

stock SMIC removed. Notice the rather good job Toyota made of ducting cold air into the surface of the SMIC. ;)

Shocking front face of the SMIC once removed and ducting removed!

Reverse side of the SMIC - even more shocking the fins had turned into something that resembled burnt ash!!!

New Miami GT SMIC in position. Scraped a few fins on the brake disc getting it in, but all is good. Just look how good it looks compared to the lump of crust I removed that some people call an intercooler

Bish Bosh jobsaguddun. Spanking new SMIC in place nice and secure with ducting in too. Andyhannah/carbonangel - In future you might want to supply some buffer type stuff to fill in the gap between the stock ducting and your coolers. I made do with some insulation foam stuff, but there was still some small gapping which may allow air to escape..

Took it out for a brief test run, but fog was too bad for me to give it some serious stick. Car felt a lot lot better. Came on boost stronger and just felt a lot more driveable at lower revs. Guess now its actually intercooled, the turbos arent working as hard as they were before!!

Andyhannah/carbonangel - In future you might want to supply some buffer type stuff to fill in the gap between the stock ducting and your coolers.

The stock ducting has some of this (draft exclusion foam) on there, mine was intact but i suppose it degrades away over time?

Think im still wining for the most fucked stock smic :D

DSCF0903.JPG

In the end I think I used 9 imperial thread bolts. All the same size, although I had to get the hacksaw out to cut them down to size to suit.

I sourced my imperial bolts from a local bolt supplier...

Dont suppose you know how long the bolts ended up when you cut them down?

• 1 year later...

Apologies for re-opening this old thread, but does anyone happen to know what thread the ducting holes needs? I know its imperial, but I don't have a helpful bolt shop that will let me try any, and silly though it sounds, I don't seem to have any imperial bolts in my garage!!