The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snapped timing belt :(

Guest Draven

Guest Draven

Well, at 52,000kms my timing belt has just snapped on my supra (or the tensioner is gone, same end result) - about 48,000 earlier than I expected, and 20,000 before I would even have thought of checking it. Bollocks to toyota reliability! :p

Anyways, being a 2jz-gte vvti, I had heard rumours that this was an interference engine (a rarity for toyota), and this leads me to worry that snapping my timing belt may have results in my pistons happily bumping pelvises with my valves - can you guys confirm/discredit this for me?

Should I be ripping my engine apart and crying, or just replace the timing belt?

Cheers fellas,

Greg

Guest Draven

That would make me a very happy man Faye... can anyone confirm this? I don't especially have thousands lying around for new pistons/valves

Guest Draven

well, if you guys were in the same country as me I'd offer copious amounts of man-love.

I'm now a very happy camper! :)

still a PITA to fix, but not as much, and not nearly as expensive

As they say is correct from what I've heard. I've always wondered if it was true through out the entire cam profile.

I shall watch with interest.

Hi Pete

Do you mean, throughout the entire cam profiles of the Supra range of engines, or are we talking VVTi specific.

The VVTi cars don't vary the lift, only the timing, so basically if it clears when the piston is at TDC, and the valve fully open, varying the timing makes no odds :)

Well, at 52,000kms my timing belt has just snapped on my supra (or the tensioner is gone, same end result) - about 48,000 earlier than I expected, and 20,000 before I would even have thought of checking it. Bollocks to toyota reliability!
The cam belt is supposed to be changed every five years, regardless of mileage.

Or do you have one of the few 2002 Supras?

Had a look at my timing belt today, as I don't know when it was done, it looks kind of new. It has Toyota and a series of numbers printed in white on the belt. So I am assuming it has been done at some point as it looks newish :blink: .

While Im here, is the 2JZ-GTE 1994 a non-interference engine?

Cheers

Had a look at my timing belt today, as I don't know when it was done, it looks kind of new. It has Toyota and a series of numbers printed in white on the belt. So I am assuming it has been done at some point as it looks newish :blink: .

While Im here, is the 2JZ-GTE 1994 a non-interference engine?

Cheers

Yup :)

Guest Draven
The cam belt is supposed to be changed every five years, regardless of mileage.

Or do you have one of the few 2002 Supras?

Alas, no

it's a 2000 model

and I wasn't slagging off at toyota - they've treated me very well. it more makes me wonder about the previous owner. While he took immaculate care of the interior, I don';t think the engine received quite as much TLC

Guest Draven

and after removing the crank pulley, I found the reason the belt snapped so early:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/supra/crank_timing.jpg

either someone dropped a screw in there, or a rock managed to find its way in.. any way you look at it, new timing belt and new crank timing pulley :(

and after removing the crank pulley, I found the reason the belt snapped so early:

[qimg]http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/supra/crank_timing.jpg[/qimg]

either someone dropped a screw in there, or a rock managed to find its way in.. any way you look at it, new timing belt and new crank timing pulley :(

looks like someones beat that with a hammer and chisel:(

The 2JZ-GTE in all guises becomes an interference engine when using over 10mm's of lift on the cam.

All standard HKS/JUN cams are non-interference - how ever the JUN 10.8mm lift 272 special order jobbies are obviously interference ones.

The above assumes standard pistons and compression

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/supra/crank_timing.jpg

Does the engine have the stock timing belt covers in place?