The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC wheel sensor wiring

Ian C

...on a facelift non VVTi. Anyone done this yet? Matt Harwood is scoping out his archive tomorrow for me at work, the star, but if anyone else can chip in that'd be great.

Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, not only changed a large percentage of wire colours on the facelift, but apparently they have changed the pinouts of the ABS ECU as well :mad: I need the four wheel speed sensor wires and they aren't the ones you use on a non-facelift Supra. If anyone knows can they pop the pinouts up on here so I can get de- and re-soldering in the vast open plains of "behind the dashboard"? Ta.

-Ian

Mine is a facelift pre-VVTI. Don't remember having any particular problems with the ABS wires. I'll have a look when I get home because I think I wrote down the colours of the wires I used. Mine is an RZ though, so it has the uprated ABS if that makes any difference.

Ok, that's cool as the pin numbers are different to what I had. Which connector is the 16 pin one and which is the 26 pin one?

Ah, hang on, A20-22, hmm, that won't be the 16 pin connector will it ;)

Are you saying that the wires on the ABS loom were the same colours as the RLTC instructions say (white, red, blue, purple) but where on different pins? If so I can simply look for the wire colours - perhaps they haven't changed with the facelift, just the pin positions...

-Ian

To be honest I can't remember, it was a while ago, but I think the colours were the same yes. IIRC they are a slightly thicker gauge than the other wires too. I think the pin numbers I have written down relate to the pin numbers on the ABS looms in the car, are there two connectors going to it, can't remember?

Ian, whatever you do, test them first, don't just connect them.

I didn't get to work today as there was a bit too much snow down here, (took me 3.5 hours to travel half way to work! Then on the way back, some twat decided to use my bumper to help himself stop!)

Anyway, I'll dig 'em out tomorrow, but if you were planning to do it tonight, give me a call if you have any problems....

Yes Dad ;) Don't worry, I'm not falling for that again!

Any info would be good, this looks promising though :)

-Ian

Testing? Where's the fun in that, just solder and go...:p. Seriously though, I'm pretty confident those are the correct wires.

So far, I've seen a fair few different variations of ABS ECU... Most of which are on facelift versions! :eek: ;)

I've never managed to figure out why the hell Toyota changed all the wiring for the facelift cars, even before the VVTI when the ECU and the other electronics were the same! They just seem to have changed half the wire colours for no reason at all, and then changed a few plugs too for good measure. I'm sure when I did the blue LED heater control thingy mod the illumination power and ground were round the wrong way from pre-facelift for no reason. Blew up 2 invertors before realising. And then there's the plug that goes to the ignition barrel which is different. Why why why? :swear: