The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone running a single without a bov?

miko_supra

I dont like the sound myself, id like to know if they do work or not, many manufactures fit them as standard so id like to think they do a job, ive just ordered a extra one for mine as the tial is slow to open and may be part the reason i blew off boost pipes and may now look like ive split the diaphram on my wastegate.

None of it may be related though.

Depends how much boost you want to run. What you have to bear in mind is if your running 1.5 bar and you lift off, the turbo is still going to produce some boost before it stalls.

This means your intercooler pipe work will be seeing more like 2.0 bar when you lift off. This sudden surge in pressue with no where to go can cause pipes to pop off and in more serious cases like Colin's split the intercooler.

Its your choice but a dump valve can prolong the life of the turbo, stop the turbo from stalling in between gears for quicker spool and stop damage from pressure spikes. You also dont have to have one that makes a noise. The HKS racing dump valve is almost silent ;)

Is it ok to use a HKS Racing bov on a Bpu car, Lee?

Yes its fine. The new version of the HKS Racing dump valve is able to deal with up to 3 bar but also open at very low boost levels as well just like the SSQV can. :) Bit of an overkill for BPU but if your going single later down the line its worh it.

When i had the T88 red supra it never had a bov, all seemed fine tbh.

I would mention that colins do-luck supra also never had one and the intercooler split open, if that related to not having a bov or not i cant say.

Our RX7 did the same thing, left a big hole in the end tank, we were at Knockhill in Scotland on the practise day and somehow we managed to find someone in a local town to weld it back up again. Would have been a wasted trip otherwise! So yes, this can cause this to happen.

One of our customers runs a 51spl BB without a bov, has been running at over 2bar for a few years now with zero problems. Another running T04Z again no probs, and another T04R which got hammered at d1 in japan before comming over here before getting hammered some more..zero problems. Were building a chaser for jdm-allstars at the moment and it wont have one either ;)

One of the main reasons Manufacturers run them (just my 2p here) is that some cars require a recirc system i.e. Airflow metered cars, as the fueling is calculated from the mass of air that goes through the airflow meter. When a Bov dumps to the atmos, the Fuel mixture runs richer as it has been calculated on the total mass that came through the AFM/MAF (which is no longer there as its been dumped out). this can give problems such as stalling. Another reason is the Sound, not very reassuring to many people who would buy brand new family car that made funny loud noises when changing gears ;)

I was unable to find any info on the net after days of reading that could prove not using a bov damaged the turbo.

I hate the noise they make so never ran one on my gt4 and had no issues. and lee and bondango both have valid points but im sure the high boost will find any weak spots like it did on pauls car.

I remember chris wilson saying they dont use them on most high end racing cars but a cost of an intercooler or turbo will be chicken feed to them.

But if you do run a bov make sure you set it up to get it doing the job right.

If you want to run one but dont like the noise get a recirc one, you use to be able to get recirc kits for the HKS units and there are plenty of recirc valves available.

I have run this car and a previous car without them and never had a problem although it has one now as the pipework came with the flange welded on.

I dont like the sound myself, id like to know if they do work or not, many manufactures fit them as standard so id like to think they do a job, ive just ordered a extra one for mine as the tial is slow to open and may be part the reason i blew off boost pipes and may now look like ive split the diaphram on my wastegate.

None of it may be related though.

Jamie, which one did you go for and where are you placing it?

I have never run a BOV on any turbo engine I have done for myself. No serious race turbo engines use them, either, not even endurance race cars where engine longevity is paramount.

Hmm interesting. I have two stories, one of no issues and others of intercoolers destroying themselves.

What's your thoughts on it preventing pressure build up in the intercooler pipes?

Hks ssqv as they open quickly, putting it intake side of ic, keeping the tial turbo side of ic

okay...reason for asking that the bov on the red car always seems to open half a second too late. I always get 2 "judders" of compressor stall before the bov opens. Where could be the correct place to get vacuum from for the bov..turbo or manifild?

okay...reason for asking that the bov on the red car always seems to open half a second too late. I always get 2 "judders" of compressor stall before the bov opens. Where could be the correct place to get vacuum from for the bov..turbo or manifild?

Sorry just checked and i went with the HKS racing BOV, thinking of changing my tial one now aswell, run two HKS racing as i here they are almost silent.

Thats a xs power dump valve on the red car, copy of the tial, i dont know where is best to vacuum