The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reasonable price to recon turbos

pistonbroke

I'm looking into getting my J-spec turbos reconditioned at some point and just got a price from turbo technics.

£600 for each turbo, for that you get new shafts, steel internals to replace the ceramics, new seals and reconditioned housings.

5 day turnaround.

Does this sound reasonable?

I thought rather than go for new units from japan, having the ceramic parts replaced with steel will allow me to run higher boost, I'm not too fussed about a slightly slower spool up time.

Personally i'd look out for a decent secondhand pair rather than going down the hybrid route. Failing that save your pennies & get a new pair from Mr T :)

I had Turbo Technics turbochargers on my car for over five years and around 40,000miles and they were excellent. I took them off for a chance to a 67mm single :D

Nice one mate, I've just got off the phone to them.

Their price is £375 +VAT for each turbo. That includes everything that I have listed above from turbo technics with a 3 day turnaround.

If anyone else recommends someone, I'll give them a ring today and put their price up here, so then anyone else searching can find prices in one place.

Personally i'd look out for a decent secondhand pair rather than going down the hybrid route. Failing that save your pennies & get a new pair from Mr T :)

Only problem with the second hand pair is not knowing what you're getting. You may stick them on only to find a week later that they're fubard too.

New pair from mr T (from japan) is about 1k each, so quite pricey.

Is the warranty the same with both companies? If so i would go with the £440 price, sounds like a good deal.

It's the same for both.

It's either do this with my turbos, or go with the AFR budget single kit which runs from the stock ECU (although I have a mines ECU).

I'm just getting all the options possible really and then weighing them up.

Get a solaris and sell the Mines.

Once that hurdle is done you could look to a full on single later in life? Thats what i'm planning.

If there is nothing wrong with your turbo's then i would suggest hybridising them as madness. Thats just my opinion though. As i don't have the deep pockets my plan is to have my car ready for a single kit over the next couple of years. AFR gauge is going in just now, Solaris mapped by Ryan will be the next big spend then a proper boost controller.

Have Solaris control your boost - it'll be better and cheaper.

FFS i keep forgetting that. Had it mentioned the other day to me too lol (in the dream supra thread).

Thats what i would recommend then. Getting the 420/430 that other members seem to manage on BPU and sticking with it till its single time :)

Approx 2k i think for supply, fit and map. That might have been 2 maps though as i asked about a TTC switch ;)

Get a solaris and sell the Mines.

Thats the thought process if I was to go with AFR's budget single kit. You can buy the kit which will run with the stock ECU with BPU fuelling mods. Then later on you get the ECU and injectors to utilise the single thats already there.

Edit, I'm starting to convince myself now that this is the best course of action...................

Thats the thought process if I was to go with AFR's budget single kit. You can buy the kit which will run with the stock ECU with BPU fuelling mods. Then later on you get the ECU and injectors to utilise the single thats already there.

Edit, I'm starting to convince myself now that this is the best course of action...................

In fairness it is to be honest. It seems a little bit backwards to me though. I would have the sorting ready before putting the single on. AFR kit does sound nice though.

But if your turbos are on the way out, sorting a new ECU and injectors isn't going to make your existing old stock turbos any better. Putting a nice new single on and running it at low boost for stock fuelling will not stress the unit at all, so it'll be quite happy poodling around at low boost, until such time as you can afford the Solaris and injectors.

But if your turbos are on the way out, sorting a new ECU and injectors isn't going to make your existing old stock turbos any better. Putting a nice new single on and running it at low boost for stock fuelling will not stress the unit at all, so it'll be quite happy poodling around at low boost, until such time as you can afford the Solaris and injectors.

And keeps the mapping costs down, you dont what to keep adding spec once you have an aftermarket ECU as you are looking at a mapping session everytime

you never said the turbo's were on the way out lol.

My plan is solaris and injectors for stage 1. I'll max out the bpu on my car and run about like that while i save for stage 2 - turbo kit gt35r and then clutch once i have cooked the one on there lol.

Any further details? :)

Only thing I know is that John (dude) says that the car at 0.8 feels faster than hybrids at 1.4 :D

I've not heard back from the member who has had the work done. I'd rather leave it to him to post his experience with it, I wouldn't want to steal his thunder or state anything that's not correct.