The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Temps, From The Sump.

Kev.O

I've had a search but it's pretty inconclusive, other than the fact that the temperature reading from the sump plug position will be lower than from a take off plate.

What I'd like to know is how much cooler will my oil temperature reading be from the sump?

I went from a drive today and whilst moving around 20 mph I got around 76c and on the motorway doing 70 mph, the reading was just below 60c. This is with a single non water feed turbo, thermostatically controlled take off plate and fully ducted cooler. What maximum temperature should I set my gauge to?

TIA

I have my sensor in the sump plug aswell Kev. I dont have an additional cooler and normally only see around 56 degrees if driving off boost. With on boost driving i dont see much more than around 75-80 degrees. At Suprapod last year with around 20 runs, i didnt see above 85 degrees IIRC

:)

I have my sensor in the sump plug aswell Kev. I dont have an additional cooler and normally only see around 56 degrees if driving off boost. With on boost driving i dont see much more than around 75-80 degrees. At Suprapod last year with around 20 runs, i didnt see above 85 degrees IIRC

:)

Brilliant, thanks Steve. Do you have a warning on your gauge? If so what do you have it set to?

All sounds a bit low to me, i fitted a cooler last year, as my temps where getting up to 117c when giving it some, (oil cooled single)

after fitting i now get no more than 102c, but average is 90-100c

I'm sure you need at least 90c to make sure the natural condensation is evaporated.

All sounds a bit low to me, i fitted a cooler last year, as my temps where getting up to 117c when giving it some, (oil cooled single)

after fitting i now get no more than 102c, but average is 90-100c

I'm sure you need at least 90c to make sure the natural condensation is evaporated.

Where is your sensor though?

I did some experimenting when i moved my sender from sandwich plate to sump plug, i found the sump reading was approx 10degree lower also when you are moving along the air travelling under the car actually cools the sender down, so i wrapped some exhaust wrap around it which gives a more accurate reading, decent oil like 10/50 pro-s is good for 130 degree but the highest ive seen is 115.

I did some experimenting when i moved my sender from sandwich plate to sump plug, i found the sump reading was approx 10degree lower also when you are moving along the air travelling under the car actually cools the sender down, so i wrapped some exhaust wrap around it which gives a more accurate reading, decent oil like 10/50 pro-s is good for 130 degree but the highest ive seen is 115.

Will put some exhaust wrap around mine then to give me a more accurate reading :)

It also depends on which type of sump adapter you`re using, the 1st one i tried was a crappy brass thing which didn`t allow the end of the sender to stick up into the oil so the small amount of oil sat above it never got upto temperature, i ended up drilling/tapping a normal plug.

I'll do the same, thanks. What reading do you get travelling on the motorway, basically off boost, just cruising?

Edit: CW made my adaptor so it should be fine.

I'll do the same, thanks. What reading do you get travelling on the motorway, basically off boost, just cruising?

Edit: CW made my adaptor so it should be fine.

You know what i can`t remember, around 75 rings a bell, i`m running a 19row cooler with stat too.

Where is your sensor though?

Thermocouple in the sump, i have every confidence in the gauge, (Redline USA) developed for racing snowmobiles and aircraft.

Edit. i actually took off the sump and welded an adaptor into the side, didn't fancy the sensor being knocked off by an SP or similar.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

Thermocouple in the sump, i have every confidence in the gauge, (Redline USA) developed for racing snowmobiles and aircraft.

Fair enough. I've seen medium to high 70's at low speed, it's the high speed that had me a little concerned. I was wondering whether the stat was perminantly open.

What about the fact that I don't have a front mount, ie would the water system be more efficient than the guys with an FMIC and therefore help take the temperature out of the oil?

Thats exactly what was happening to mine, sitting there would be 70 odd, get on the m/way and the temp would come down, sorted after i wrapped the sender unit.

Right I'm with you. Do you have a picture after you wrapped it?

Fair enough. I've seen medium to high 70's at low speed, it's the high speed that had me a little concerned. I was wondering whether the stat was perminantly open.

What about the fact that I don't have a front mount, ie would the water system be more efficient than the guys with an FMIC and therefore help take the temperature out of the oil?

Does sound very low to me, i don't think the lack of FMIC will have much to do with it, i don't run one, does sound to me like your thermostat is open way to early, what make and temp is it?

My cooler is in full airflow behind a large vent and is mounted lower than the water tank so has obstruction to the extractor vent in the inner wing.

What gauge/sensors are you guys using?

Does sound very low to me, i don't think the lack of FMIC will have much to do with it, i don't run one, does sound to me like your thermostat is open way to early, what make and temp is it?

My cooler is in full airflow behind a large vent and is mounted lower than the water tank so has obstruction to the extractor vent in the inner wing.

Could be due to the above post Dick. I got the take off plate from CW, so I'm sure it's of good quality :)

Edit: Defi BF range.

I do get a higher reading when driving slower though.

Interesting subject this because I see about 99 to 102degC at normal 70mph driving. The sensor is in a sandwich plate between the oil cooler and the filter. I'm not sure if the oil should be really hot at that point because it's pre-cooler or really cool because it's post-cooler...

-Ian

I think the problem with a sandwich plate is heatsoaking so just knock off 10/15 degree to allow for this.

I don't buy that because I think the sandwich plate will be the same temp as the oil in it, maybe a bit less due to having a cooling surface. Heat soak just means that something reaches the same temperature as the things around it.

Well I'm not saying there isn't a difference in temps between the oil in the filter and the oil in the sump :) I'm just not saying a sandwich plate will give artificially high readings over what the oil really is at the filter. Which is how I read your post.

Edited by Ian C
get my words right (see edit history)