The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA - Missing sensor in airbox?

Homer

will it be this one???

hope it helps, my car didnt have air box but the sensor was just there hanging!!

Thanks mate, but I'm pretty sure it's not that one. There's only a single wire to the socket on mine.

If I remember correctly it's just outside temp sensor.

From Danny's pic? That would make sense.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Yeah it's indeed some kind of sensor which is getting into small ,rubber covered hole in airbox, your is just broken.

Just had a look at my NA... So my first guess was wrong, sorry. To my defence I can only say that outside temp sensor looks the same, just hanging around in bumper area :p

DSC_1410 (Large).JPG

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

hey

i just thought i would jump onto this thread rather than start a new one as i have exactly the same question....

i have just fit an apexi cone filter to replace my stock airbox, and the sensor thats being talked about in the above posts, i have at the moment dangling as it came from after the filter in the stock setup, most likely taking temp reading. i just wanted to attach a couple of pics the sensor i am talking about...its got 2 wires coming out of it so it must be reading something, but it just looks like a piece of plastic and wanted to make sure it wasnt a fake?!

i have a bolt in my apexi hard pipe that i could remove and fill with a rubber washer type thing so that the sensor can slot in and be of use, and more so i dont get rediculous mpg!

i was just curious as to what this wierd looking thing was.

thanks

DSC00441small.jpg

DSC00442small.jpg

That is the OEM AIT sensor, it is to monitor induction air temp and can be fitted anywhere along the intake before the throttle body, or in front of air filter as long as the wiring end of the probe stays dry.

Mine has been temporarily jammed in the under headlamp intake, and functions here quite happily.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107879&d=1270681277

js800_Supra_snow_002.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

thanks for your reply - ok as long as its ok where it is for now till i can source a rubber grommet for it. i have it tied down just in the corner next to the filter and in line with the bottom stock air feed. by the way the sound difference to fitting this filter took me by surprise. didnt expect it to be so loud - what a growl!

thanks for your reply - ok as long as its ok where it is for now till i can source a rubber grommet for it. i have it tied down just in the corner next to the filter and in line with the bottom stock air feed. by the way the sound difference to fitting this filter took me by surprise. didnt expect it to be so loud - what a growl!

Ideally you do need to get the sensor mounted back into the intake track, the ECU does make some changes based on it's input. Just don't have it dangling in the engine back otherwise the ECU will start to retard the ignition.

i think i have a spare one lying around in the van.will check tomorrow if you want.

Thanks mate, much appreciated, but all sorted a long while ago :)

• 3 weeks later...

How much of a difference would it make just having that floating around in the engine bay?

As i was reading this i decided to go have a quick check and found this dangling.

This will sound stupid but to put it in the air box do i just split it with the clip, but the pointy bit inside the airbox and then clip it back together, that sounds really dumb i know but i dont want to break it :(

hey

i just thought i would jump onto this thread rather than start a new one as i have exactly the same question....

i have just fit an apexi cone filter to replace my stock airbox, and the sensor thats being talked about in the above posts, i have at the moment dangling as it came from after the filter in the stock setup, most likely taking temp reading. i just wanted to attach a couple of pics the sensor i am talking about...its got 2 wires coming out of it so it must be reading something, but it just looks like a piece of plastic and wanted to make sure it wasnt a fake?!

i have a bolt in my apexi hard pipe that i could remove and fill with a rubber washer type thing so that the sensor can slot in and be of use, and more so i dont get rediculous mpg!

i was just curious as to what this wierd looking thing was.

thanks

this is my apexi with sensor fitted

It'll be okay dangling in the engine bay but it's not ideal. A few threads on supraforums say that the ECU pulls timing if the IAT gets beyond a certain limit (no mention of what that was), so the only real issue is that you might loose some performance when under bonnet temps rise.

you have two let me no if it makes any difference if it do i have get one in:)

Right just had a quick blast on my private 3 lane drag strip and after putting the sensor where it was ment to be i feel it has made a noticeable difference at high speeds (for an NA ;) ) and WOT.

In reality it probably hasn't done anything, but knowing its not missing has given me peace of mind.

If i were you i would get one if they are cheap enough and see for your self.

Right just had a quick blast on my private 3 lane drag strip and after putting the sensor where it was ment to be i feel it has made a noticeable difference at high speeds (for an NA ;) ) and WOT.

In reality it probably hasn't done anything, but knowing its not missing has given me peace of mind.

If i were you i would get one if they are cheap enough and see for your self.

cheers for that . Now do anybody no how much these sensors are.