The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZGE maximum NA output

Guest JesperDJ

Guest JesperDJ

How much power can you squeeze out of the 2JZGE when NA tuning for a reasonable amount? (cams, exhaust, engine control, stuff like that)

300hp?

Dont know yet but its something I'll be looking into. Can't decide whether to go for the single install or squeeze as much power out of my NA as possible.

I'm going to speak to an engineering firm where I live that prepare race engines to see what they think.

This is an interesting one... I plan on seeing how much I can get out of my GE....

Little bits and pieces over the next few months... It is going for a dyno run to get a baseline ready for the extras.

Currently it has a cam and a slightly remapped ECU...

How much power can you squeeze out of the 2JZGE when NA tuning for a reasonable amount? (cams, exhaust, engine control, stuff like that)

300hp?

`reasonable amount` lol!

Dave_H on here was also in the 9`s in his NA

taken from NA section supraforums..

Top 20 Na-t Dyno

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most of the sections have a list of the top dyno pulls, If you na-t members can list your rwhp we can assemble a list of the top 20 na-t dyno...

NAME, RWHP, RWTQ, PSI

1) Ebanks: 981, 640, (?), 34 psi

2) Twincharge 758, ???, 34 psi

3) cody whitehead: 720, ???, ??? psi

4) SSSupra: 686, 559, 27 psi

5) 337: 660, 630, 30 psi

6) pm supra: 660, 540, 34 psi

300 BHP should be fairly easy, but very expensive. 375 should be difficult, and mega expensive, 400 should be achievable, but ludicrously expensive.

When you say for example 400 should be achievable, but ludicrously expensive, would it in your opinion cost more than the 10K you'd fork out for an NA-T conversion??

If I could get anywhere near 300 I would be pleasantly surprised :).....Well depend what my bank acount looked liked afterwards.

From scaling off the published powercurve, max BMEP for the NA is 12 bar @ about 5000rpm. If you changed your entire intake and exhaust system to move this to 6400 then you could get about 250 / 260 hp. That would mean intake and exhaust manifold and intake and exhaust cams.

…and I don't mean bolt-on "off the shelf" jobbies. I mean bespoke items specifically made for that one purpose. How you would get to the correct spec without doing somw kind of development exercise, I have no idea.

If you wanted to get to 300hp, then you would first need to make the engine safe to rev to 7500, and then do the intake / exhaust / cams optimisation.

I did a more detailled writeup of this ages ago. See post 28 in this thread. I was being very optimsitic with the BMEP figures that day...

10 K wouldn't scratch the surface, 400 BHP would be upwards of 50k with development time and parts factored in. Given the long stroke it may not even be possible, you'd need to turn it at over 9000 RPM, in all likelyhood. A state of the art 2 litre currently gives about 350 BHP. Obviously given aerospace type budgets, even a 2.4 can give a LOT of HP (but not much torque), as current F1 engines show.

Guest JesperDJ

Well i know that im gonna get alot more power with turbo conversion (and actually i have EU/US big turbos lying around somewhere..), but thats not the point..

200FWHP is "easily" acheeved on a 2.0liter enginge, so 300 should not be a problem with the 3l 2JZGE eng.

The reason for the NA tuning is that if i clamp on the turbocharges im just gonna get punished with more weight and unable to race in the 2499-2999ccm class.. im beeing pushed to the 3999-4999ccm class

Well i know that im gonna get alot more power with turbo conversion (and actually i have EU/US big turbos lying around somewhere..), but thats not the point..

200FWHP is "easily" acheeved on a 2.0liter enginge, so 300 should not be a problem with the 3l 2JZGE eng.

The reason for the NA tuning is that if i clamp on the turbocharges im just gonna get punished with more weight and unable to race in the 2499-2999ccm class.. im beeing pushed to the 3999-4999ccm class

Yes, 100bhp per litre on an NA can be easily achieved - provided you have the budget to go and find out the precise cam / intake / exhaust system combination that will give you the peak BMEP at the correct revs to do so. Then if you need to rev it a bit harder you'[ll have to make the engine safe to whatever speed you find is necessary to make up the extra.

There is some evidence (based on what we know of the VVTi) that the actual safe rev limit for the top end is 7200, but that is with stock springs and cam profiles. You'll be changing those anyway. In the NA Supra's case there is unlikely to be anything off the shelf that will get you 100bhp/litre out of the box. Hence the high price tag.

When you exit a corner it is an issue, midrange torque will pull you out quicker.

On a heavy car lack of torque down south might make it uncompetitive. Fitted on a 500Kg car this engine might be a rocket, but on a 1500kg car it might hinder things.

Just a thought:innocent:

I know JesperDJ wants to keep his NA engine but thought I would ask this since there's a few folk here who seem to know what they're talking about.

Would it be possible to bolt on an IS300 charger?? Are the engines not pretty similar?

The IS300 uses the VVTi version of the 2JZGE, there are bolt on kits available in the US for the IS300 which could probably be made to fit an NA Supra. As said the distributor is in the way on the non-VVTi engine, there may also be issues with it being designed for a LHD car.

Details/pics of one of the kits here:

http://www.lextasy.com/LMS_IS300_supercharger.htm

do what Thor did and fit a lexus v8 in it, n/a and gives about 270 hp, not horifically expensive iirc, and can have a supercharged fitted more easily, they do the conversion i believe but you must supply engine, which is 1jzge or something like that