The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vibration in drive at idle

Rory

I found another thread on this , but I wondered if theres a concensus on a solution.

My car vibrates sometimes quite badly when sitting in drive with the footbrake on... Ive taken to shifting into neutral at lights etc. to avoid it. Its really annoying and my only major gripe with the car.

It doesnt seem so bad when the cars been run for a while especially a fast run on the motorway.

Is this due to engine or gearbox mountings? Worried it would cost a fortune to put right :blink:

When was the last time you changed your box fluid?

No idea when it was done, only bought the car a couple of weeks ago.

The box works perfectly apart from this ... can old fluid cause this vibration ? From the thread I found it seemed like quite a lot of members had this problem.

It won't be the fluid, it can't cause a vibration. Check your engine and back gearbox mounts, and all exhaust mounts. Check any none stock I/C pipes for contact with bodywork. Check idle stability and speed, check idle mixture. One of those will probably be the problem. I'd guess engine / gearbox or exhaust mounts.

They must be crap quality to perish so quickly! I previously had a 16 year old 525i with no problems with engine mounts at all. I hope the rest of the car is better engineered.

Pistonbroke said on another thread it will be my N/S mount, and the vibration does seem worse on that side right enough. I would like to get it sorted soon ish but it can't be cheap for labour :(

have a look at this thread if you haven't already Rory

i had the exact same problem & went through a few things (starting with cheaper things!) to try & get it sorted & it ended up being an engine mount. I ended up getting them both replaced while they were doing the job & it was approx £55 + vat per mount plus the labour, which gave a total price of around £250 at Hyper Sports & Racing in Wigan. Probably not very ideal for location if you're up in Scotland but hopefully this will give you an idea of price. The thread i've highlighted may also provide some alternatives too that you could try in the meantime.

I know how annoying it was though & i was starting to think about getting rid at one point but once it was sorted the love has returned :)