The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mondeo vs Leon experiences

danhicks22

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at getting second car that I can commute in and use through the winter, for reasons of saving me money and making sure I don't write off the Supra in the wet/ice (had a couple of scares in the last few weeks and would rather not risk the car or myself driving it in the cold weather). Also after something a little more practical (i.e. hatchback, saloon or maybe estate).

I'm looking at diesels and have found a couple I'm considering that fit into my budget. I've found a Mondeo 2.0TDCi and a Seat Leon Cupra TDi. Both seem to be at a good price but they are high mileage. The Mondeo is an 02 plate with 130k miles (mainly motorway) and the Leon is 04 with 123k miles (also mainly motorway).

The Leon is ridiculously low priced as the seller needs to part-ex for a van (he's been offered 2.5k) and the Mondeo is 1.5k. I'm hoping to see them both this weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with these cars, in particular with high mileage examples?

There are a lot of Mondeos around so could probably find one with lower mileage, slightly more expensive but the Leon is a one-off that is quite tempting. I've always liked the Cupras.

I've also tried looking at VW Boras, Seat Toledos and Vauxhall Astras but there are hardly any around my area and none that have the right mileage/price/spec combination. They just aren't as good value as Mondeos.

I've done some Googling but not really found anything other than the `if it's been looked after it will probably be fine` general consensus.

Any opinions/advice?

Cheers,

Dan.

Mondeo TDCi's are ok so long as they've:-

had all 4 injectors replaced. (Always replacing these, along with all 4 fuel delivery pipes and diesel leak off pipes)

dual mass flywheel replaced. (Again, always replacing these. Gives a nasty rattle and vibration through the clutch pedal, and the swarf from the flywheel jams up the starter motor making the repair more costly)

Auxillary belt tensioner replaced. (Yet another common fault - Nasty rattling noise)

Rear subframe bushes replaced. (As above, common as pig poo - Will make a slight knock until you lift the car up to have a look at what's wrong. Then it'll make a horrendous clunk until they're replaced. Excessive movement of the rear subframe will also cause the rear tyres to wear unevenly)

Front tyres replaced. (These wear out on the inner edges - Think of it as a feature more than a fault)

Discs and pads all round replaced. (I swear to god the discs are made of tin foil. 9 times out of 10, they need replacing every 30k)

Check the rear washer jet is still connected on the hatchback models - These sometimes come adrift and cause a nasty mouldy smell inside the car where it drowns the roof lining.

Other than those things, they're nice cars! Personally, i'd go for the VAG group. My mrs has a 53 plate Golf GT TDi 130 PD. It's fast, nice to drive, sails through every MOT, reliable, and she can get 60mpg! The bitch!

Cheers for that Ben! I'll write it all down so I can quiz the seller about it.

My preference is definitely for a VAG car, just that there don't seem to be any for sale in my area within my budget. There seem to be loads of Mondeos on the other hand and far more lower priced/higher spec cars for less money.

I'm also torn between getting something cheap to just 'get by' and getting something nice that I'll enjoy owning.

Mondeo TDCi's are ok so long as they've:-

had all 4 injectors replaced. (Always replacing these, along with all 4 fuel delivery pipes and diesel leak off pipes)

dual mass flywheel replaced. (Again, always replacing these. Gives a nasty rattle and vibration through the clutch pedal, and the swarf from the flywheel jams up the starter motor making the repair more costly)

Auxillary belt tensioner replaced. (Yet another common fault - Nasty rattling noise)

Rear subframe bushes replaced. (As above, common as pig poo - Will make a slight knock until you lift the car up to have a look at what's wrong. Then it'll make a horrendous clunk until they're replaced. Excessive movement of the rear subframe will also cause the rear tyres to wear unevenly)

Front tyres replaced. (These wear out on the inner edges - Think of it as a feature more than a fault)

Discs and pads all round replaced. (I swear to god the discs are made of tin foil. 9 times out of 10, they need replacing every 30k)

Check the rear washer jet is still connected on the hatchback models - These sometimes come adrift and cause a nasty mouldy smell inside the car where it drowns the roof lining.

Other than those things, they're nice cars! Personally, i'd go for the VAG group. My mrs has a 53 plate Golf GT TDi 130 PD. It's fast, nice to drive, sails through every MOT, reliable, and she can get 60mpg! The bitch!

Jesus!!

I have had a Mondeo for the last three years and really hammered it everywhere. I sent it back with 62K on the clock and it was still on the original discs.....:blink:

Maybe I just got a good one as it never spent one day in the garage unless it was being serviced. I have had Renaults and Vauxhalls and would never again. The mondeo was the most reliable car I have had with the exeption of a Nissan Primera, now that was a reliable car..!!

Personally I would go for a lower mileage Seat...;)

H.

Without wishing to jinx myself, I've had an 02 mondeo and it's a lovely car. Had to spend £80 getting the injectors reprogrammed and £200 on the rear subframe bushes which I knew would need doing, but that's it (had it just under a year).

After driving the supra for 3.5 years it's like driving in a really comfy armchair, with everything you need within easy reach, exactly where it should be.

My dad has had his Mondeo 2.2 TDCI for three years - not one single problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Even wear right across the tyre on my dad's car!

Not on my dad's car!