The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fse ?

SupraJames

Could someone please tell me if there is any benefit of fitting a FSE to a UK Spec car ? i would like to take a fuel pressure gauge of a line as well, and thought it would be easier to take it off a FSE, due to a current issue with fueling which is still being looked into.

Sorry I was in a playful mood which wasn't really very helpful of me. After a disasterous tale we had recently I'm really sick of the damn things because one day someone's car is going to go up in smoke because of them. A mitigating factor in that thread is the utter chimp who installed it though, he could make a block of gold look like a lump of lead, but it's still an unneccesary risky pseudo-upgrade.

I'm shamed Paul E had to sort me out :blush: :D He likes them, I don't. It has a relatively high and worrying failure rate, which usually involves it pissing fuel around your engine bay. It also, in my opinion and every major car manufacturer out there doesn't make your car run better just by upping the fuel pressure at a more rapid rate than a stock one.

Alas, fitting a fuel pressure gauge without some aftermarket gubbins in there is almost impossible though. You'd need a double banjo bolt and banjo fitting to go on the end of the fuel rail, and it would need to be in Toyota sizes, and then some aeroquip fittings after that to house the sensor.

-Ian

A mitigating factor in that thread is the utter chimp who installed it though, he could make a block of gold look like a lump of lead, but it's still an unneccesary risky pseudo-upgrade.

I'm shamed Paul E had to sort me out :blush: :D He likes them, I don't. It has a relatively high and worrying failure rate, which usually involves it pissing fuel around your engine bay. It also, in my opinion and every major car manufacturer out there doesn't make your car run better just by upping the fuel pressure at a more rapid rate than a stock one.

:)

In this instance the fitting of the FSE was undertaken by someone that, if only slightly more cerebrally challenged, we would have to water three times a week...:taped:

The fuel pressure was left at 66 psi (which as the factory fitting comes out at under 40 - I checked - means that this must have been deliberate calibration...!!!)

There really is no rocket science to fitting one...

I like them as when combined with an aftermarket pump they do add more power and more torque (dyno proven) lower down...

However - Mr Toyota spent millions on designing the car and has in place a perfectly adequate FPR - unless you really know what you are doing then do not change it...

Bit like everything else that we put on the machine - there is always something perfectly adequate in use already...if you decide to change anything then it is normally for something weaker than the original...but for short term gain...

Ah I'm glad I've seen this thread, as over the weekend I managed, after many many months, to feed the wiring for my fuel pressure sensor through the bulkhead of my car. Tonight I'm wiring this into my AEM, and will be able to view, and data-log the change in fuel rail pressure that the FSE gives as boost increases. It should, according to FSE, give a rising rate of 1:1.7.

However as I'm struggling to get a consistant AFR under boost, I'm guessing, and will hopefully be able to prove later this evening, that the first time I floor it, it will give 1:1.7, the next time I floor it it will give something different, and the next time I floor it, something different again. As I say, hopefuly this evening I'll be able to give the proven low-down on how good a quality product these things actually are.

To be honest, I'm hoping that the are good and that it does give a repeatable increase in fuel pressure, that way I won't need to fork out a 100 quid for an aeromotive!

I'll keep you all informed......

Tony

This will show a rising rate only up to positive boost (or approx 0.2 anyway back when I measured mine)

After this it acts as a normal 1:1

Unfortunately this does add a difficult variable into the mapping process - hence why never recommended for anything over BPU really

Will be interesting to see...

These designs are usually over 1:1 on boost.

They were used when n/a engines were coverted to turbos - on a budget.

You could get away with 7-8psi boost just by reducing the advance and increasing fuelling with one of these FPRs.

Ghetto-conversions with stock pistons of course, in the summer it wouldn't take more than a bad batch of fuel to blow a head gasket. (if you were lucky)

I wouldn't bet on the supra ECU being 100% happy with the fuel pressure varying so wildly, sometimes it takes data for closed-loop operation, other times it re-adjusts open-loop injector duty based on extrapolations from closed-loop results.

But it always assumes fixed fuel pressure.

These designs are usually over 1:1 on boost.

No John - to confirm definately off boost

This is not a rising rate (which is what i think you are thinking of)...but defined as an 'adjustable' - far less hectic...

Too much blah blah blah here (I was young and enthusiastic then! :)) here

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=16079&highlight=FSE

If you email FSE, the people who make it, they will tell you that it increases the fuel pressure 1.7 times the standard rate, which is 1.7bar of pressure per 1 bar of boost, and does nothing on cruise and idle. So it doesn't react like a normal FPR once above atmospheric, it does in fact increase the fuel pressue.

I know Paul did some test with this and the results looked a bit different to what FSE say they would be, I'm very interested in Tony's up and coming datalogs :eyebrows:

Edit - in fact Paul has linked to the original discussion where I got the info, see this post for the beef :)

-Ian

:)

In this instance the fitting of the FSE was undertaken by someone that, if only slightly more cerebrally challenged, we would have to water three times a week...:taped:

:rlol:

The fuel pressure was left at 66 psi (which as the factory fitting comes out at under 40 - I checked - means that this must have been deliberate calibration...!!!)

:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Well I will not be fitting a FSE to my UK now, will leave the fueling as standard,..!

I really can't see how anyone would want more fuel than a decent UKSpec this side of 550bhp. (real ones, not pub bollox!)

I run mine seriously stretched (for a non-single) and still have to *take out* fuel while the second turbo is playing ball.

If your fuelling is really lacking then you have to look at blockages or faults. Increasing the fuel pressure should NOT be needed if you haven't got a medium-large single.