The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heated Front Seats

SMW

I sure I'll get some flak for this but it's bloody cold and my front seats don't heat up at all.

Never worked since I've had the car, push in the button and little light is on but zero heat.

I did ask the Toyota dealer to look at this and they reckoned the heating element had gone in both seats and if I wanted that warm have I wet myself feeling I'd need two new seats!

Subsequent dealings with them have led me to believe they don't know the Supra all that well and I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Done a search of the BBS to no avail.

I swopped my cloth seats for some tan heated leather when i first got the car, i bought the power switch and then found that i needed the seats wired in as the jap cars are different for wiring looms ?? After a load of hastle i never bothered doing the wiring.. its prob just a positive and a neg wire but never sorted it out... Sholud do really, seeing as its this cold !

Craig.

Could you just disconnect the multiplug to the seat and make sure you have power when the switch is depressed? Requires a multimeter and a circuit diagram off MkIV.com, nothing too tricky, and would immediately point you in the right direction...

-Ian

Originally posted by scooby_doo_do

There's two/three plugs on the bottem of the seat i think.. Which one does what ?

Craig.

Having a J-spec, I have no idea! But a bit of research gives us:

Wiring diagram

And

Component location

See S6 for the switch and note that S8, S9, and S10 are all to do with the power amplifier, the leftward facing connector is the seatbelt warning sensor, so the connector just behind S9 and S10 should be the one to check. I couldn't find any connection info on that one but you can root around these diagrams at your leisure.

Remember to reverse the image as it's for a left hand drive US car :)

So assuming it's that connector, the wiring diagram shows you that you need to test a blue wire for power when the seat heater is switched on, as that's the feed from the relay.

Now, as both seats don't work, after this simple test (my guess is you won't be geting any voltage on this blue wire), you need to find the single points of failure for the heated seat circuit. According to the wiring diagram, these are:

The 15amp Seat heater fuse - a good starting place :)

Junction block I11 - but this does more than just the heated seat circuit, so lots of things should go wrong if this was disconnected.

The seat heater switch - it's voltage feed and earth need checking

That's about it. See how you get on.

-Ian

Couldn't you also test the 'seat' element itself by testing the

wires INTO the seat with an Ohmeter ?

Shouldn't you get a circuit (but probably with a fair resistance 'cos

of the heating element) ?

If no circuit.....probably fault in seat wires/element ?

[i don't really know just 'throwing-up' ideas ('scuse the throw-up) ]