The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sh*te-shift kit

Mark Ayling

Just thought I'd share with everyone my experience with the B&M short-shift kit I had fitted to the Supra a few months ago:

When I first had it fitted, I wasn't convinced about the "short-shiftness" of it at all....it didn't feel like a shorter shift at all really, just very notchy and "tight". Plus, since, I've never really got used to the thing and occasionally had trouble engaging certain gears, very random really.

So I've been considering reverting back to the standard jobbie for a while...then today, I was given a reason to do so when the frigging thing snapped off in my hand at 130+mph around Goodwood racetrack :eek:!

Seriously, sliding round a corner at 70+mph with a detached gearstick in your hand is definitely "shitting-it" material!

Luckily, I managed to nip into Chichester and get it bodge-welded back on for a fiver, enabling me to do a couple more sessions and get home, but I will be reverting to the standard shifter ASAP.

Other than that, it was a fantastic day, some nice machinery there and the Supra definitely shone - got some great powersliding vids which I will post a link to later if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Mark.

PS I was going to do some sort of "my knob fell off" comedy-style title to this thread, but I'm better than that....but suffice to say that now my knob's been re-attached its working fine!! LOL

Originally posted by Mark Ayling

Well it would have to be considerably improved for me to buy another one - build quality aside (perhaps I was to violent with it? :conf: ), I wasn't really that pleased with the result anyway - its not as if the standard shift is "long", and its certainly accurate enough out of the box....

That's why I didn't bother in the end. As a general rule if there are plenty of secondhand ones for sale in the US I steer clear of it.

Anyone want to buy a lightweight flywheel :D

Other than that, it was a fantastic day, some nice machinery there and the Supra definitely shone - got some great powersliding vids which I will post a link to later if anyone's interested.

[/b]

Doh! sorry about the shifter prob. I was considering buying one - perhaps I shouldn't bother. Anyway I'd certainly be interested in the footage. MPG or AVI format will do nicely :D

Cheers,

Will be digitising some of the more interesting bits tonight!

The track day was organised by Bookatrack, cost me £169 and worth every penny!

...well actually it cost a bit more than that when you consider I got through 2 tanks of petrol and a set of tyres! (the tyres were on their last legs anyway, so its only fair to thrash the last bit of tread off round a track :D )

I don't remember seeing any gravel there, just a small grass verge! In fact, Goodwood doesn't have any big run-offs, which can get quite scary at times!

I did Goodwood last year in the pi$$ing rain and a couple of cars went into a tyre wall.....scary track

Thanks for the warning Mark. I have a B&M short shift kit in the Integra, and even though the shift action is fine (and definately shorter in the Type R), I've put the standard shift lever in the boot in case the B&M decides to snap on my round Angelsey Circuit this Friday.

The MKIV has a pretty crap change on the six speed Getrag box, they are awful compared to a Skyline R32 or R33 box, and worse than the getrag in the R34. I am strongly believing a LONGEr gear lever with more travel (leverage) would improve things. Did a clutch today on a MKIV TT and was weighing up doing some on an exchange basis.