The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inferno's Supra: Restored & Built From The Ground Up

Inferno

Hi Paul,

I am happy to say that there was no drop in HP from when they did the initial tune of the car (open DP) and when they did the next dyno run after installing the exhaust and cutout. In addition, there was no significant increase of measured backpressure (open DP before vs exhaust and cutout after) either!

Thanks for the well wishes, pics will definitely keep coming! (p.s. I am a HUGE fan of your 2 tone bonnet, and rim/brake combo!)

Glad it worked out mate and the feelings mutual as i'm a HUGE fan of your build :notworthy

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant wait for that :)

Will be up as soon as I get my butt into gear and post the photos ;)

Glad it worked out mate and the feelings mutual as i'm a HUGE fan of your build :notworthy

Thanks Paul!

Absolutely amazing. Inspirational to any genuine Supra enthusiast as the benchmark . Can't believe the detail you've went to in creating this.

Thank you sir, there was a helluvalot (yes that is a word) of thought and research that went into it, but it has definitely paid off! I just had a look at your beast, and I must say, the gold and black/CF look is outstanding (as you can see from many of my posts, I have a soft spot for gold parts ;) ).

Great thread, good work:)

Thank you sir, more to come soon!

Thank you sir, there was a helluvalot (yes that is a word) of thought and research that went into it, but it has definitely paid off! I just had a look at your beast, and I must say, the gold and black/CF look is outstanding (as you can see from many of my posts, I have a soft spot for gold parts ;) ).

!

Much appreciated comments from a connoiseur like yourself. As a matter of fact I've posted the thread on a local forum I'm on. Amazement doesn't even begin to cover it. Again kudos to the build and I wish you the absolute best of luck with the car.

I'm sure most of you know how useless the rear seats are, and I personally have never liked the look of them. The problem is that I had never seen a rear seat delete that I liked the look of. It sounds stupid to say it, but the rear seat deletes always looked like just that - as if someone had removed the rear seats... it always felt as though something was missing and never looked quite right.

So, I did my usual obsessing on how to overcome this, and started researching the look of various 2 seater sports cars to see how they dealt with the lack of back seats. Most porsches had roll cages or fabric based solutions, and many of the other sports cars had layouts that would just not be compatible with a Supra. However, I did find 2 possible solutions. The first was the corvette which offered 2 different layouts:

The low back:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/q/9/1/ag_08vette_seat.jpg

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/chevrolet/corvette/2010/ft/2010_chevrolet_corvette_seat_ft_618101_717.jpg

And the seat hugging high back:

The problem with the low back is that the Supra has the rear hatch which is quite a bit higher, so this wouldnot look much better than having the rear seats.

The problem with the high back corvette layout was that it would be too high and would have to slope down to the rear hatch, also possibly causing major rear vision issues.

The solution came from a Dodge Viper...

I decided it would look best to have a centre speaker/subwoofer, which would slope down either side as a recess for the back of the front seats.

Some of you may not know, but Larry @ SP used to be one of the big dogs in the car audio world. He used to design and build some of the most award winning custom car audio setups. Lucky for me - he was working on the Supra and made my ideal rear seat delete come true:

The first part of the rear seat delete involved constructing an enclosure to contain the shallow subwoofer that was to be put in. I decided I wanted a small amount of bass for the sound setup - nothing crazy or over the top. Since Larry is an audiophobe, I relied on his expertise in choosing and placing components to produce an amazing sounding sound "stage".

I love the complexity of the dash... although I'm sure Larry doesn't ;)

For a new Head Unit/GPS, I decided to go with the Pioneer AVIC-F10BT:

Mounted in the (partial) dash:

The Roberuta Cup Kit "Internals":

Now it was time to fabricate the centre speaker that would sit on top of the subwoofer enclosure providing the rise in the middle of the rear seat delete. It starts out looking ugly as hell, but wait until you see it completed!

How long a wait are we talking :innocent:

I think Inferno works for Simon Cowell's suspense department :D

'And the winner rear seat delete is.......................................................................................................................................................................'

Done and covered with a base coat:

The centre and side components had to be carefully fabricated so that they would flow nicely with each other and the rest of the rear trim:

Test fitting the Focal speaker:

Back in the car: