The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inferno's Supra: Restored & Built From The Ground Up

Inferno

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire that the project is different from all the other big money projects, in that the amount of effort from the owner is equal to the cash gone in. Many other projects just see the owner writing the big cheque, whereas this one seems like you've sweated just as much as the builders getting everything just how you want it.

I love the dual exhausts.

Yep have dampness in my pants

hrmm, thanks for that image ;)

Oh my, I bet it's nice and quiet with that boost activated exhaust valve :D

Haha, yes it is quite aggressive sounding, especially when you get on it.... when everything is closed though, it is quiet enough to keep the police away!

I admire that the project is different from all the other big money projects, in that the amount of effort from the owner is equal to the cash gone in. Many other projects just see the owner writing the big cheque, whereas this one seems like you've sweated just as much as the builders getting everything just how you want it.

I love the dual exhausts.

Thanks Matt, I cannot tell you how much time I spent researching every aspect of the build and stressing over the tiniest details... but in the end I'm glad I did as I could not be happier with the outcome!

I like the dual exhaust. Very tidy install there. Those chaps at SP certainly know their stuff.

Thanks Ed, they certainly do!

In order to avoid any heat related issues, some beautifully crafted shields were fabricated to protect fuel lines and other components from the heat:

To keep the exhaust nice and tight with the body, Vince and the boys fabricated this to secure it:

Some gratuitous (partial) engine bay shots of what was concurrently happening:

I also asked to have a high flow cat put inline, as it is a legal requirement for road cars here in Australia. The beautiful part is that when the boost activated exhaust cutout is enabled, there is no back pressure from the cat as the exhaust is dumped before it reaches the cat! So if I want to run with minimal back pressure, I can have the cutout activated. If I need a quieter exhaust with all of it flowing through the cat for emissions purposes, I can simply disable the cutout!

Now onto another few interesting parts I acquired during the build...

Whilst 98+ headlights look stunning, I decided to go one step further and was ablt to have some custom glass headlights made with Clear lenses. First of all, I purchased a set of new OEM 98+ headlights, and then had the custom clear glass lenses made and attached to them:

I also forgot to post photos before, but here goes...Ever since I first saw the Top Secret cars, I have had a soft spot for the Top Secret Hoods. I knew it would work perfectly with the rest of the kit I had planned, so I ordered one from Dusty @ MVP:

To go along with it, I sourced another rare find - a set of Top Secret Hood Dampers:

I also opted for a New TRD style CF-Centre Wing from Dusty @ MVP as I really like the look of these and think it adds a nice touch to the rear of the Supra. Also, very fitting with the TRD widebody kits!

Amazing!!!! :drool:

Thanks mate, loving the look of your car (as I mentioned in your project thread)!

every bit about this car is so good it makes me want to go out and take a bat to mine lol

No way, I just checked out your Supra and it's a stunner!

Have you considered contacting Toyota about this project?

I know if I'd designed a car in the early 90's and 20 years later someone was going to this much trouble and expense as you obviously are, i'd be honored and like to know about it.

I think we're all running out of words to express how awesome this car is, so i'll just sit back and admire the work of art that is your Supra,... and i do mean ART in its purest sense. :thumbs:

You've missed my question!

Sorry Matt, don't know how I missed that!

Basically due to the cat and mufflers, the pressure would be higher for the exhaust to exit that way than it would through the "dump" pipe, so when the exhaust valve is set to dump it, almost all of the exhaust will exit there with only minimal amounts continuing down the rest of the exhaust.

As mentioned above, someone @ Toyota should see this man, just a mind boggling, epic build. It's like re inventing the Supra only way way better, in my soon 8 years of ownership I have seen what must be by now 100+ build threads but this is something else, well done to yourself and SP, and thanks for sharing.

Sorry Matt, don't know how I missed that!

Basically due to the cat and mufflers, the pressure would be higher for the exhaust to exit that way than it would through the "dump" pipe, so when the exhaust valve is set to dump it, almost all of the exhaust will exit there with only minimal amounts continuing down the rest of the exhaust.

slight critism, looking at the pic of the exhaust cutout to me it doesn't look in the best position, i would have gone for leading it straight off the second bend as marked by the (very crude) arrow to keep the flow as straight as possible, the way you have it is going to reduce back pressure in the exhaust but force the gas flow to make a very abrupt turn as its already changing direction off the first bend, keep the pics coming as its an amazing build :D

6Exhaust0521600x1200.jpg

As mentioned above, someone @ Toyota should see this man, just a mind boggling, epic build. It's like re inventing the Supra only way way better, in my soon 8 years of ownership I have seen what must be by now 100+ build threads but this is something else, well done to yourself and SP, and thanks for sharing.

Cheers mate, that is very kind of you to say. I hope your beast is running well!

I would love to see the end result. The car looks droolingly amazing :)

I don't dare to ask how much it will cost at the end as I will have a heart attack!!

Thanks, you definitely will see the end result... just have to get to that part of the build - patience ;) p.s. congrats on the new purchase!

simply unbelievable

Thanks Brett!

slight critism, looking at the pic of the exhaust cutout to me it doesn't look in the best position, i would have gone for leading it straight off the second bend as marked by the (very crude) arrow to keep the flow as straight as possible, the way you have it is going to reduce back pressure in the exhaust but force the gas flow to make a very abrupt turn as its already changing direction off the first bend, keep the pics coming as its an amazing build :D

Hi Paul,

I am happy to say that there was no drop in HP from when they did the initial tune of the car (open DP) and when they did the next dyno run after installing the exhaust and cutout. In addition, there was no significant increase of measured backpressure (open DP before vs exhaust and cutout after) either!

Thanks for the well wishes, pics will definitely keep coming! (p.s. I am a HUGE fan of your 2 tone bonnet, and rim/brake combo!)