The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inferno's Supra: Restored & Built From The Ground Up

Inferno

Really looking forward to the dual exhaust bit. I love the choice of gearbox too, I'm a big fan of the autobox and having one that can handle big big power would be amazing.

The brakes look fantastic behind the rims.

This certainly has to go down as the most epic Supra build in history. Having an open cheque book approach would be so enjoyable.

I wonder who you got to spray the car.... I'm thinking it has to be someone like Charlie from American Hotrod / Overhauling fame :cool:

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next step was fabrication of the dual exhaust. As you can imagine, this required quite a bit of thought and tinkering to get everything properly placed!

For starters, the OEM fuel tank had already been removed (you may remember bodywork included the metal widebody TRD rear fenders and deletion of all OEM fuel components inlcuding tank, flap, fillet etc).

The rear bumper also had to be modified, which involved duplicating the left side of the bumper to the right side. Thanks to the guys at Golden Hammer Autobody, they did an AMAZING job:

Next up was the issue of choosing the perfect exhausts. As most of you will know by now, I did obsess over the smallest things, and the dual exhaust was definitely one of them. I had to choose an exhaust that had a nicely shaped muffler which would fill out the rear of the car, suite the TRD rear bumper and also look like a "factory standard" dual exhaust.

After researching countless exhausts, mufflers of any and every style, I decided that the Blitz Nur Spec looked PERFECT for this, so I made a few international phone calls, shot off some emails and had these ordered:

It also involved some fine tuning of how far out I wanted it to stick (not very far... enough so that when the exhaust was coming out, it would not harm the paint on the rear bumper, but not far enough to actually "stick out"). After some deliberation we reached the perfect fitment in my opinion.

Some of you may have noticed the rear lights in some of the above pictures... to add some unique parts to the Supra, I thought that LED Rear Lights would really set the rear of the car off.

So I decided to have a set custom made. I had seen quite a few sets made, some with different colours, some with different LED patterns, some carbon fibre, some smoked. However, I chose my own simple design of a single ring of LED's - similar to the Top Secret Design except I had all of the lights as LED's (as opposed to the TS set which leave the reverse lights as the standard Supra bulbs):

Thanks to Simon from the UK Supraforums for constructing these beautiful lights for me:

Also, there was a slight problem building the dual exhaust, which became apparent once the mufflers were put in place.

The Blitz Nur Spec is designed to protrude from the rear at a slight angle... since I wanted the exhaust flush with the bumper and with a straight exit, the mufflers were too long and fouled on the tyres.

Rather than have them sticking out too far (once again, I wanted a nice factory dual exhaust look... if they stuck out too far, it would not look clean), Vince did an amazing job and cut open each of the mufflers and shortened them!

I am also pleased to say that he did such a great job, you honestly would not know anything had been done to them unless you were looking for it. They also sound just as good as a "normal" Blitz Nur Spec (better actually, the sequential setup and dual exhaust gives it a really nice sound when the exhaust is "allowed" to reach the rear mufflers - more on the exmphasis of "allowed" coming soon).

Some more photos of the boys mounting the exhaust and the new rear LED's:

Thanks to the "surgery" on the mufflers, they were the perfect size and the mounting position looked exactly how I had envisioned it:

Mockup for clearances:

Clearly, this was not your average "pull off the factory front/mid-pipe and cat and replace with an aftermarket one" job. So, the guys at SP had to start putting their amazing fabrication skills back to work!

Here you can see how close the setup gets to the wheels:

You can also see the bottom of the fuel cell which had been powdercoated gloss black and the new rear end:

Unbelievable! I started reading this thread at 3am this morning and woke up and haven't even got out of bed reading every single page. This is undoubtedly, by far, the best and most interesting build thread I have ever read. And to top ot off, you're such a nice bloke. If I ever visit Australia I'll give you a big hug telltubby style (no homo!).

Just one quick question though; I have, besides me a copy of Banzai magazine June issue. It features Sound Performance's Supra with the same Whifbitz front end, TRD rear in black and the Quick Spool Valve system. It doesnt have dual exhausts though. The engine bay looks chromed with the same wheels albeit chromed.

I'm confused because the feature is criminally short considering the epic nature of your build and it makes no mention of you. Is this the Donor car? Sorry for being blonde.

Just to reiterate, you sir, are a legend. Now i can get out of bed and wash up :D

Another shot of the exhaust mockup to get everything placed perfectly before building the rest of the exhaust:

Starting to creep back from the downpipes:

And starting to build up the exhaust from the mufflers to the mid-pipe:

SP had recently released their Boost Activated exhaust cutout, showing some impressive gains in low down torque... I definitely wanted a piece of the action!

After scoping out the best position for the cutout, fabrication started:

When activated, the cutout opens up, dumping exhaust gases under the car, avoiding backpressure from the mufflers:

I think you should send this whole thread to Toyota. It's a perfect representation of how the MKV Supra should be.

That comment really made my day, thanks mate - very kind of you to say!

simply amazing

Thanks Wayne, although I don't know that I would want to line it up next to the blue beauty you created as it looked a real stunner!

Unbelievable! I started reading this thread at 3am this morning and woke up and haven't even got out of bed reading every single page. This is undoubtedly, by far, the best and most interesting build thread I have ever read. And to top ot off, you're such a nice bloke. If I ever visit Australia I'll give you a big hug telltubby style (no homo!).

Just one quick question though; I have, besides me a copy of Banzai magazine June issue. It features Sound Performance's Supra with the same Whifbitz front end, TRD rear in black and the Quick Spool Valve system. It doesnt have dual exhausts though. The engine bay looks chromed with the same wheels albeit chromed.

I'm confused because the feature is criminally short considering the epic nature of your build and it makes no mention of you. Is this the Donor car? Sorry for being blonde.

Just to reiterate, you sir, are a legend. Now i can get out of bed and wash up :D

Haha thanks mate, it would be an honour to meet someone as kind as you!

In regards to that magazine article, that was from the first Sequential car SP ever did - a completely different car from mine ;) that car was originally owned by a gentleman named Dan (bludemon) on the US supraforums, which was then sold and sent to SP to have a sequential TT system built. As you mentioned, his car doesn't have the dual exhaust, is a different colour, has different wheels, and the quick spool valves were later added whereas mine was designed around them. Lots of differences, but basically, yep it's a different car that has nothing to do with me ;)

Thanks again for the inspiring words, it really makes it all worthwhile hearing things like that!

This has got to be the best Supra in the world now? I have never seen this much effort go into rebuilding a Supra, that is mechanically or body work wise.

Hats off to you Sir, you have done this to perfection.

Thank you sir, very kind of you to say. p.s. I LOVE the colour of your Supra, it really is stunning!