The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inferno's Supra: Restored & Built From The Ground Up

Inferno

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twenty two months for a custom piece of kit is insane. Reminds me of my interior revamp...

That will be really trick though, raising the car height from inside at the touch of a button.

Oh it is a great piece of gear, works brilliantly!

awwww dude dont stop there, pictures, pictures, pictures, we need more pictures :D

I'll try get some more up asap! ;)

Very very nice mate :) I hate to think what the car has cost to build, but what a machine to end up with :thumbs:

Thanks mate, I'm a big fan of your detailing jobs myself!

makes me want to start over again!! insane build.

Thanks Mitchell, but your Supra is pretty special already!

This thread just hasn't stopped wowing me. This build is just mental!

12 pot calipers as well! :faint:

Thanks as always Matt... the brakes are something else in person!

Having seen some amazing builds over the past couple of years and thinking the Swede's TRD would never be topped yet you go and knock that build into a cocked hat.

Shows what endless funding can achieve! Absolutely mental build:D

Do you have Columbian connections by any chance?:eyebrows:

I have a few questions that no one else has seemed to have asked.......

1. early in the thread you purchased new front wings, side vents and an Oz spec rear bumper - why when you intended fitting a TRD kit?

2. Why buy so many new trim parts when the old ones could have been draped in leather?

3. car number one - now scrapped or used as a spare?:innocent:

4. what happened to the first dash crash pad that got damaged?

5. did you have a garage sale of all the old parts (from 2 cars!!)?:innocent:

Having seen some amazing builds over the past couple of years and thinking the Swede's TRD would never be topped yet you go and knock that build into a cocked hat.

Shows what endless funding can achieve! Absolutely mental build:D

Do you have Columbian connections by any chance?:eyebrows:

I have a few questions that no one else has seemed to have asked.......

1. early in the thread you purchased new front wings, side vents and an Oz spec rear bumper - why when you intended fitting a TRD kit?

2. Why buy so many new trim parts when the old ones could have been draped in leather?

3. car number one - now scrapped or used as a spare?:innocent:

4. what happened to the first dash crash pad that got damaged?

5. did you have a garage sale of all the old parts (from 2 cars!!)?:innocent:

Wow, they are some strong words - I appreciate it thank you!!

To answer your questions ;)

1.) They were purchased before the decision to go widebody

2.) I prefer the look of new OEM parts to old parts covered in leather... plus it is hard to match the entire interior with leather given that the dash will always be plastic and the dash pad that synthetic material

3.) Donated ;)

4.) Trashed, they are too delicate to repair properly

5.) Donated many to SP, sold some more, and still have more to sell!

Car looks insane, such a great build so much time, effort and of course hard earned gone into this.

Thanks Fitz... there was an immense amount of research, planning and coordination, but it was definitely worth while!

The next part of the project was finding the perfect wheels. As I'm sure most of you know by now, I do tend to overthink things a little...

So, I researched the hell out of different wheel makes, widths, styles, colours etc. You name it, I photochopped it onto my Supra!

After much thought and deliberation, I decided to go with a setup that would look great, work with the big brake setup , ould provide me with great straight-line traction, and be top quality. I had the guys at SP measure every conceivable angle, gap, clearance and spacing and had the specs sent to HRE. I had been exchanging emails back and forth between SP and HRE (Guy Atherton) deciding on the best wheel to go with. It was a painstaking process, but I eventually decided on HRE 895R's. 19x10 Front, 18x12.5 Rear, Gloss Charcoal Powdercoated Centers, Polished Lips.

These bad boys were to be wrapped in 265/30ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 up front, and P345/30R-18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radials on the rear.

Edited by Inferno (see edit history)

oh my......I need more tissues :blink:

Save some, you might need more!

Love them rear tyres:cool: what width are the rear wheels?

Thanks Jamie, they are 19x10 up front, 18x12.5 in the rear.

This thread is nuts :D

Thanks !! It's going to get even crazier ;)

2.) I prefer the look of new OEM parts to old parts covered in leather... plus it is hard to match the entire interior with leather given that the dash will always be plastic and the dash pad that synthetic material

If you check out Ed Morris's build on here, or Cowboy Bebop's on the SF or look on Titan's website you will see that they have covered the WHOLE interior - dash and all - so for what you paid for 2 crash-pads and door trims etc, you could of gotten a cool custom interior re-trim to go with the rest of the fabutastic specs and have no plastic in sight.Tee

If you check out Ed Morris's build on here, or Cowboy Bebop's on the SF or look on Titan's website you will see that they have covered the WHOLE interior - dash and all - so for what you paid for 2 crash-pads and door trims etc, you could of gotten a cool custom interior re-trim to go with the rest of the fabutastic specs and have no plastic in sight.Tee

During this stage, the new drivetrain went in place (TRD diff, new rear end, CF driveshaft and axles):

I understand I may lose some of you here, but it was a decision that I had to make and that I spent countless hours and days weighing up the pros and cons of each. I could go one of 3 ways... retain the new OEM auto box that I had built by BL, do a full 6speed manual conversion with all new OEM parts, or go with the SP4L80E.

I decided to go with the SP4L80E. For those of you who do not know, this is a 4 speed auto box that can pretty much take any amount of power you can throw at it when built properly. I decided that if I was to go automatic, I wanted the box to behave EXACTLY how I wanted it to (poor Larry... he really did have to put up with a lot!). We were extremely fortunate in that we had the help of a Toyota engineer on the shift strategies, line pressure and converter control so that the SP4L80E with ProEFI control would work exactly like a stock transmission under factory control.

So, I pulled the trigger on the 4L80E and Larry got started working furiously on getting it working PERFECTLY. I wanted the box to operate like stock when just cruising (i.e. nice gentle gear changes, no excess revving or laggy feeling from the converter), but like a monster when the throttle was fully open. This means that when cruising around, the box would shift automatically so that it drove beautifully, but when you put your foot down, the box would change gear just past the peak of the power curve, so that when the next gear was engaged, it would be right in the middle of the meaty part of the power band.

After choosing an "appropriate" set of gearing ratios to ensure maximum off-the-mark acceleration rather than worrying about top speed, and a "suitable" converter, we had this stunning piece of gear ready to fit:

Edited by Inferno (see edit history)

The trans tunnel did require some "massaging", but this was a walk in the part fot the guys at SP as you can imagine!

Next up it was time to undertake one of my other choices that will have people divided... to put the engine back in along with the turbo kit and begin building the DUAL exhaust...

Many will ask why I did this, and the answer is quite simple. I have never been a huge fan of the canon style mufflers that exit at an angle. Admittedly they do look tough and make the back of the Supra look "mean", but I just felt that it also leaves the rear unbalanced and that a more subtle dual exhaust would look a bit classier. Also, most modern sports cars now have dual (or quad) exhausts, and looking at them, I really do feel it gives the car an updated, balanced look.