The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broken engine pictures

tooquicktostop

looking at the pics of the crowns of the piston i would say the car has had chronic det issues as they are quite badly pitted (hope i'me not stating the obvious here), this does not happened overnight or in one mapping session, when i had my head off a while back i actually polished up the crowns to check for evidence of det and they came up perfectly smooth, i used to tune 2 strokes many moons ago so know what a det cratered piston looks like

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at the pics of the crowns of the piston i would say the car has had chronic det issues as they are quite badly pitted (hope i'me not stating the obvious here), this does not happened overnight or in one mapping session, when i had my head off a while back i actually polished up the crowns to check for evidence of det and they came up perfectly smooth, i used to tune 2 strokes many moons ago so know what a det cratered piston looks like

The head was off not but a few weeks before to have new valve seals and a good clean up including a re shim, the pistons were in fantastic condition

Dan, for some unknown reason feels that he should map upto .25bar over what's requested to make sure that if you ever have a boost spike it's covered.

This is not in my, or anyone elses, opinion what's recommended and I'm quite frankly appaulled.

He should have;

Set a FuelCut/Boost Cut at 1.6bar.

Mapped to 1.5bar

Extrapolated out a rich point to cover between 1.5-1.6bar.

He should have not mapped beyond 1.5bar at any stage especially on a hot dyno!

Dean, looks like he owes you money IMO. 1 new stock bottom end.

Alex, you sitting down right??

I agree *grin*

Do you have any high res pics of the other pistons? (preferably acetone cleaned) Especially exhaust side.

Could well be the result of a sick injector if the others look good.(not that this excuses 1.75bar on 97 ron)

No compression on 1,2 and 3, big damage on 2 and scoring on 1 and 3, with the 200kb limit I am having to use low res photo's, I have the car with me so I can take any pics you like need ;)

The head was off not but a few weeks before to have new valve seals and a good clean up including a re shim, the pistons were in fantastic condition

fair enough if you saw the pistons, but the tarnishing looks to me like old det that has had a coat of tarnish over the top, from my 2 stroke days (which pink like a b*****d) you would not see that much damage on just one run, i know a 2 stroke is a different animal but all the physics of det is exactly the same, was the tuner wearing det cans if yes he would of stopped/backed off long before the level of damage you can see in the pics

was Dan listening to his Ipod instead of his det cans during those runs?

My personal belief (and having talking this through with some other techies) is that Dan is responsible for that damage. Dans no doubt going to throw a fit about this but I dont care as Im fed up with these things being hushed up on the forum and others going the same way.

Unless Dan can give a full technical explanation why its not his fault and why he isnt paying some or all of the repair bills then Im going to have to reconsider the trader membership he is operating under.

I cannot accept a member having their engine blown and the mapper taking no responsibility.

that should make things interesting.

JB