The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap AND reliable single?

s3upra

Is this possible?

Please bear with me this is a long one!

My 2nd turbo is not boosting beyond 0.4 bar,i have spent hours/days/weeks checking vsv's,boost pipes,actuators,actuator arms etc etc etc-and quite frankly ive had enough,i now have a second set of turbos to fit(if indeed this is the problem),however i cant do it myself-Gravel driveway.

If im going to the expense of getting someone else to swap turbos,and or diagnose the problem,would it be better to go single?

Im very tempted after seeing a few 'single' engine bays-(so much clutter is removed:)

Not looking for huge power-the car has been sloow since i got it About 3 years ago!(fitted a boost gauge a few months ago-just to confirm my feeling).So even stock TT power would put a smile on my face,but really dont want to be checking all this stuff again in the future,would prefer to simplify the whole system.

The car is standard j spec tt apart from w/boro fuel pump,cat back exhaust,and miami gt intercooler.

Finally to my question-is it possible to get a cheap AND reliable single fitted on stock 440 injectors and stockish smic,what would be needed and how much would this cost(drive in drive out).

Finally to my question-is it possible to get a cheap AND reliable single fitted on stock 440 injectors and stockish smic,what would be needed and how much would this cost(drive in drive out).

Not really. You can fit a really low spec turbo and run it at low boost. It will give you all the "single" sounds but I doubt will be as quick as a properly set up BPU. The ECU, fueling and mapping is the key, but on the stock 440's you will be extremely limited on what you can do with it. Mayby try the cheap ass T60 XS power turbo and a stock ECU & fueling but this will almost certainly be slower than the stock system at BPU.

Do you have an auto or 6spd?

Auto..

Then you must be more careful about the turbo selection. With an auto you need a turbo that offers high boost as early as possible. The XS power turbo's are not great at this due to the wierdly huge exhaust housings they use. If you want something useable you will need to spend a lot more money and go for a garrett GT35, PHR/BL/SP T61. The XS power T60 and T70 are extremely cost effective, but are comparitively late spoolers compared to others in this compressor size range so are not a good choice for auto owners IMO.

Great thread as have been tempted by the single route, I have an Auto as well, but luckily UK Fuel Set up and have an Emanage ready to fit. Is it possible to run a single on this set-up..? If so what would people recommend Turbo wise..? and rough costs..?

Great thread as have been tempted by the single route, I have an Auto as well, but luckily UK Fuel Set up and have an Emanage ready to fit. Is it possible to run a single on this set-up..? If so what would people recommend Turbo wise..? and rough costs..?

A garret gt4082 might be a good choice nice early spool up on these too so i have been told

A garret gt4082 might be a good choice nice early spool up on these too so i have been told

No matey, thats not a good choice for a cheap single setup. You need proper fueling to make something like that useable.

You "can make it work" on almost anything if you compromise boost pressure. 550's will fuel a small single on very low boost just fine, but IME it would be no faster than a good BPU setup. You really need higher boost (1.2 bar on a T61) to make it worthwhile. Cost wise, it all depends on who you go to. I would budget at least £5k for a single conversion, several more thousand if you want o make the most of it.

That is, unless you just want the noise (which is fantastic :D )and don't care about performance...

Thanks for input so far,

I would like the car to be as driveable as possible,so sounds like the xs power is out.

So to do it propery/reliably how much will it cost?

If £5k concerns you then don't even think about it. To make it a good conversion AND reliable (which means proper engine build and ECU) then easily double that.

£5k does concern me!

Dont want to do half a job-so sounds like i should stick with stock setup.

Just want a reliable car,putting out 300+bhp and as simplified as possible-as these cars get older the sequential system and assosciated bits become a pita on occasions.

Thanks again.

If your aims are only stock or BPU power (300-400hp @ flywheel) then going single is just pointless. Stick with the stock system :) It's extremely reliable when maintained properly.

Beleive me, the "PITA" bits with the stock system pale into insignificance when you get a "PITA" on a single setup... especially when it comes to cost.

If your aims are only stock or BPU power (300-400hp @ flywheel) then going single is just pointless. Stick with the stock system :) It's extremely reliable when maintained properly.

Beleive me, the "PITA" bits with the stock system pale into insignificance when you get a "PITA" on a single setup... especially when it comes to cost.

Thankyou for all advice-will stick with twins(sure i can find someone to sort them out).

As mentioned earlier there is no such thing as cheap and reliable specially when comes to singles :)

Thanks for the clarification, I missed it earlier.

The thing to consider here is the word "cheap" - to some people this is £500, to others £50,000, you need to state a specific budget and then people can advise you on the best way forward.

BPU is the way ahead for you, if you then decide to go single you'll have some of the supporting mods in place to reduce costs.

Yep, stick with the twin setup mate and simply start collecting single parts (if you still want to go down that route) slowly but surely. Much easier to spend your hard earnings over time than in one vast lump sum - trust me.

I'm often though about ditching the stock setup because of the agro, especially stupid boost leaks and faulty actuators etc, but when it's running nicely you can certainly see that it isn't far behind some of the singles out there - especially on the strip. :)

How much power do you want? Have you been out in a single car with 500 - 600 + BHP? What purpose do you want the car for?

My advise is, go out in cars with the power that you think you want, and see if it really is what you want.

Then start collecting all the parts that you would need for a single conversion. Fueling, cooling, cams, ecu, induction, etc. Get on your current car and setup. Then all you have to do is get the single installed and remap it.

Also keep in mind that if you want a well setup car, engine is not the only place to be looking, brakes, suspension and diff will also need attention.